Student Affairs & Campus Life

The faculty and staff of Paul Smith’s College recognize that a college education extends beyond the classroom. To assist the student in the various facets of adapting to, taking full advantage of, and benefiting from the college experience, Paul Smith’s offers a coordinated support system involving trained personnel from both the academic and the student life areas.

Student Activities

Participation in extracurricular activities can help students develop self-confidence, leadership, and the social skills that will help them in their future lives. Being involved in campus life outside the classroom is a great way to meet new people and experience the diversity of community living. The Office of Student Activities sponsors opportunities for students to interact with other students and staff seven days a week during each semester. There are clubs and organizations in which students can become involved. Students also have a collective voice within the College governance system through an elected Student Government Association (SGA). The purpose of SGA is to promote cooperation both within the student body and among students, faculty and administration, and to act as a channel for the expression and resolution of student concerns. For more information see the Coordinator of Student Activities.

Campus Clubs and Organizations

Student Health Services

Student Health Services is located in the Joan Weill Student Center, down stairs, room 003, just past the student mail boxes.

During the Fall and Spring Semesters, the office of Student Health Services is staffed by a Registered Nurse.

Basic clinic hours are:

Monday - Friday

8:30 am - 3:30 pm.

The clinic is walk-in, with students being seen on a first come, first serve basis. The nurse reserves the right to use professional judgment to adjust the order that students are seen in as it becomes necessary. All students are triaged first by the nurse. After triage and/or treatment, the nurse will decide if an appointment is necessary with the Physician or Physician Assistant.

A Physician or Physician Assistant, from Medical Associates in Saranac Lake, New York, is available on campus two hours, three days a week. Basic Doctor hours are:


10:00 am – 12:00 pm

Students are encouraged to visit Student Health Services if they become ill, sustain an injury, or would like to discuss any health related concern(s).

Some of the services that are offered at Student Health Services are:

There is no out of pocket cost to the student for seeing the nurse or the medical representative at Student Health Services. However, there are certain items or services that may have a cost to them. Any additional fee encored by the student, at Student Health Service, will be placed on the student’s account as an "infirmary charge". These charges will vary. Some examples of what may add an infirmary charge are:

Prescription medications can be ordered for the student by our medical representative, or Student Health Services is happy to assist the student with processing any prescription given to them by their hometown practitioner. Prescriptions are billed to insurance by the pharmacy and the co-pays are placed on the student’s account as an "infirmary charge". Students are advised to come in for a refill when they have at least 3-5 days of medications left to ensure they do not run out before a refill is obtained. Additionally, this allows time to schedule to see our medical representative should refills be out and a prescription renewal is necessary.

As an added convenience, prescription medication is delivered to Student Health Services each afternoon, Monday thru Friday, from the Post Office Pharmacy, in Saranac Lake. The prescription is placed in the student’s mail box usually around 5pm. Student Health Services is not responsible if a student opts not to pick up their prescription. It will not be returned to the pharmacy. It will be disposed of by the end of the semester if left in their mail box. The charge to their account will remain, regardless.

**A reminder to all: Students are responsible for keeping controlled medications in a secure place.

For any on campus emergency, Campus Safety (518-327-6300) is to be called. They will be the first responder and liaison to either Student Health Services or will call for an ambulance if necessary. It is important to note that a student may refuse ambulance service. The fee is not covered by the college and will be billed to the studentor their insurance by the ambulance service. There is no official transportation provided by Paul Smith’s College at this time. However, a POV may be used.

Ambulance services to Paul Smith’s College are provided by the Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire/Rescue Department. All transports via ambulance are to the Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake. Please be aware that resources are limited in this small geographical area. Ambulance service should be used only for emergencies. All other health care concerns should be directed to Student Health Services during normal clinic hours.

If a student feels they cannot safely get to Student Health Services, they may call Campus Safety (518-327-6300) and transportation will be provided. (Campus Safety will only provide campus transportation of students in need). If any significant injury is sustained while on campus, the student is expected to report to Student Health Services, as soon as possible to be evaluated and to complete an incident report. This includes students who are injured during a sporting event or practice.

Students are expected to arrange for their own transportation for any off campus appointments, such as: dental, doctor, physical therapy, optometrist, or psychiatrist. Paul Smith’s College does not provide transportation at this time.

If a student is determined, by the Nurse, to have acute need and it is not a reasonable time frame to wait on doctor hours at the clinic, a referral will be made to Medical Associates in Saranac Lake. If there is no availability at Medical Associates, the student will be referred to Adirondack Medical Center- ER or Mountain Medical – Urgent Care. Again, transportation is the student’s responsibility, a POV may be used, a taxi or the ambulance called.

If an appointment is made at Medical Associates because of scheduling and length of visit needed, rather than emergency, it will be made after the Nurse has triaged the student and Student Health Services must make the appointment. If the student attempts to make their own appointment, they may be refused or if accepted, they will be charged as a private patient.

Appointments made at any other office in the area for specialty reasons, should be honored. It is the student’s responsibility to get there. If they are unable to keep the appointment, they should let that specialty office or Health Services know as soon as possible to either cancel or reschedule that appointment.

Prior to or by the start of classes, students are required to complete the Health Form packet that was mailed to them. One can be found on line at the PSC website under Student Health Services, should the location of the packet elude the student when it is time to complete it. With this packet, Student Health Services is looking to create a comprehensive baseline of the student to better meet any needs they may have during their time at PSC. So, please take the time to complete the packet neatly and thoroughly. Here is a checklist of what basic information will be requested:

All full-time students are required to have health insurance coverage while attending Paul smith’s College. It is important to note that not all health insurance is created equal and that although it may work in the state it originated in, it may not work locally while at PSC. The student is considered a precious resource and their education is a substantial investment. Please take the time to ensure they have the insurance they will need while attending PSC. While they will not be billed when seen at SHS, there are many times when insurance may be necessary during their time here. (ie Emergencies, doctor ordered tests or labs, prescribed medications, referrals for specialty appointments, etc…)

Acceptance or waiver from the college health insurance is necessary at the start of each academic year. The cost of college insurance will be automatically billed to the student account. To ensure the college insurance is in place by the start of classes or waive out of the college health insurance, it must be done electronically at

Insurance cards for college insurance can be printed by going to .They will not be printable until approximately September 15, if starting in the fall, and by February 15 if starting in the spring.

Students with their own private insurance are responsible for knowing what their insurance covers, initiating their own claims, and following the requirements of their insurance. Some insurance has one card for medical and one for prescriptions. A front and back copy of their card(s) should be provided to Student Health Services upon entry and any time there is a change in coverage. The student should have their own card (s) when they arrive at PSC. It does them no good for Mom or Dad to have it back home when they may have an emergency locally.

Additionally, many private insurances have high co-pays because they are attached to flex accounts. If this is the case, please order an additional flex card for your student. It will be the student's responsibility to provide their card with medications are ordered on their behalf.

Entry physicals should be done prior to arrival at PSC. This service is not covered under contract and therefore, not provided at the PSC clinic.

Proof of immunization is required by all students who are taking 6 or more credits.

MMR – Measles/mumps/rubella

2 shot series


Available @ PSC SHS upon request.

Price may vary

PPD – Tuberculosis screening


Available @PSC SHS $10 *

Meningitis – single shot; may need booster

Required if resident student

Available @ PSC SHS $109 *

Hepatitis A – 2 shot series


Required for all RATE, Culinary, Baking, or HRTM students

Available @ PSC SHS $85 *

Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis – childhood series needs booster every 10 years



Available @ PSC $45 *

Varicella – 2 shot series for chicken pox



Available @ PSC SHA upon request.

Price will vary.

Hepatitis B – 3 shot series



Available @ PSC SHS upon request.

Price will vary.

Polio – child hood series



Not available @ PSC SHS

HPV – 3 shot series



Available @ PSC SHS upon request.

Price will vary.

Seasonal Influenza – single yearly dose



Not currently available.

*These prices may vary year to year. These are accurate as of Spring 2015.

Any vaccine administered at Paul Smith’s College, Student Health Services is charged to the student’s account under "Infirmary charge". Upon request, the student will be provided with a receipt for the purposes of attempting insurance reimbursement.

Students who do not submit the completed health record will not be seen by Health Services. Incomplete records can lead to dismissal from Paul Smith’s College.

All your health care information is confidential and protected by HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability ACT). To help keep it that way, please use the pre addressed envelope marked confidential that was attached to your health form packet. Or mail those documents, in an envelope marked confidential to:

Paul Smith’s College

Attn: Student Health Services

P.O. Box 265

Paul Smiths, NY 12970

Please make sure the entire health packet that is submitted is the "original". For legal purposes, we cannot accept copies. If you need a copy, let us know and we will be happy to make one for your records. It is suggested that a copy be made of at least all immunizations prior to submitting them to Student Health Services as the need for them may come up as the student enters the job field or pursues other degrees.

Inactive student health records are retained for 7 years from the term they went inactive. They will be destroyed within 90 days of reaching the 7 year mark.

To obtain health records after leaving Paul Smith’s College, a release of information form must be completed and mailed to:

Paul Smith’s College

Attn: Student Health Services

P.O. Box 265

Paul Smiths, NY 12970

Intercollegiate and Intramural Sports

Paul Smith's College is excited to belong to the Yankee Small College Conference (YSCC) of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA). There are currently fifteen members of the YSCC, including both two year and four year colleges; most of which are located in New England. Paul Smith’s College participates in the following YSCC pursuits: golf, soccer, cross country, women’s volleyball, men’s and women's basketball, and bowling. The 2011-12 season marked the first season of full membership into the YSCC for many of the Bobcat teams.

In addition to the information below, visit the Athletics & Recreation website for year-round updates on athletic events and offerings.

Soccer Teams: Both soccer teams have advanced to the YSCC Final Four in each year since joining the conference, with the women's team winning the YSCC Tournament in 2013 and advancing to the USCAA National Tournament in Charleston, West Virginia.

The men’s team advanced to the championship game in 2011, while the women’s team advanced to the finals in 2012. The men’s team won the western division of the YSCC regular season in 2011, while the women’s team earned a #3 national ranking in the USCAA in 2012, and earned an automatic berth to the National Tournament in Asheville, North Carolina.

In 2013, the men’s team won the Barkeater Cup over rival SUNY – ESF at home in 2013, and won 11 games, earning a spot in the YSCC Final Four.

Cross Country: The men’s cross country team has been quite successful, having won the Sunrise Conference championship (2006 – 2009), and then winning the YSCC Championship in 2010, 2011, and 2014. The women’s team placed second from 2007 – 2009; and then won for the first time in 2010. The women’s team won the YSCC Championship again in 2013 and 2014. Both teams represented Paul Smith’s College at the USCAA Nationals in 2010; where the men finished third and the women placed fourth. Paul Smith’s College hosted USCAA Nationals in 2011 and again in 2012. Both the men and women’s teams placed fourth in 2011, and the men’s team followed this up with another fourth place finish in 2012.

In the past four seasons, the cross country teams have had four individuals earn First Team All American honors.

Bowling: The collegiate bowling team won the 2012 YSCC championships in the team’s inaugural season. The team practices locally in Saranac Lake, and participates in tournaments regionally, while also competing against other collegiate teams in preparation for the conference tournament. In 2014 and 2015, the team dominated the YSCC Championships, with two teams from Paul Smith’s winning their brackets and faced one another in the championships.

Volleyball: The women’s volleyball plays over 20 matches during the fall semester, and participates in tournaments in Vermont, New Hampshire and New York as they prepare for the Yankee Small College Conference Tournament. The volleyball team finished the 2013 season ranked fourth in the conference. The volleyball team won the YSCC tournament in exciting fashion coming from behind to defeat tournament host and #1 see Unity College for their first conference championship victory

Golf: Paul Smith's College is excited to bring collegiate golf to the slate of athletic offerings for the fall of 2015. The team will compete in some regional invitationals as well as the Yankee Small College Conference matches and tournament.

Basketball: The college will be bringing back men's and women's basketball on a club level in 2015 with plans to elevate both programs to full varsity status for the following year. The teams will be competing in the Western Division of the Yankee Small College Conference (YSCC) in 2016, with out of conference contests with regional colleges and universities.

The Nordic Ski Team was re-established in the 2006-2007 season, and the men’s program was quite successful at the Northeast Regionals, qualifying for Nationals in 2008 – ‘12. Recent Nordic Coach, Stefan Bibb became the first Nordic Skier from the college to earn All-American status in the United States Collegiate Skiing Association (USCSA), with both third and fourth place finishes in 2008. The men’s team placed third in the 3 X 5 K relay at nationals in Colorado in 2009. The team annually competes in the United States and Canada as well as in regional collegiate races.

The Woodsmen’s Team has re-established itself as one of the premier timbersports team in the north-eastern United States, as the team won the annual spring meet in 2003 for the first time in over 19 years. Both the Men’s and Women’s Team won the combined titles in 2006, while the men’s team won the men’s division in 2007. The annual Spring Meet is the collegiate championships for timbersports. The Women’s Team won the team title in 2009 and 2010 at the Spring Meet.

The men's team had a great season in 2014-15 winning nearly all of the invitationals through out the season, and culminating with a win at the Spring meet at Dartmouth College.

Four of the past seven Stihl Timbersports National Individual Collegiate Champions have come from Paul Smith's College, with many heading into the professional ranks upon graduation.

Rugby: The Men’s Rugby team belongs to the National Small College Rugby Organization and plays in the Upstate Small College Rugby Conference. The NSCRO replaces USA Rugby - Collegiate and the USCRC replaces the New York State Excelsior East Division III in the New York State Collegiate Rugby Association.

During a typical season, the Paul Smith's College rugby team is quite competitive, and generally makes the playoffs. The Bobcat Rugby Team finished in the top four in the state tournament in 2009 - 2011; losing in the championship game in 2009. The men's team practices during the winter months with an estimated four spring matches against other collegiate and club teams in the North Country as they prepare for the fall collegiate season.

The college features additional sports that are indigenous for the region, and the programs are quite successful.

The Paul Smith's College Striders have dominated the International Snowshoe Championships through the 21st Century, having won this title in 2002, 2004 – 2006, and again from 2008 - 2015. The Striders compete throughout New England, New York, and northeast Canada, with an occasional trek to the western United States. Three members have competed in La Ciaspolada in Italy, a snowshoe race that annually attracts well over 5,000 runners. Nearly a dozen members of the Striders have been competing at the US Snowshoe Nationals, with four students earning National Team honors in 2011-2015. Paul Smith’s College has featured national championship relay teams in the men’s, women’s, and co-ed divisions since 2011.

With our abundance snowfall and proximity to Lake Placid, the Striders annually host the Empire State Games sprint snowshoe events, featuring over 100 athletes. The coach of the program is an active official nationally and internationally, having worked as the Head Referee for the World Winter Special Olympics in Idaho in 2009, and more recently in PyeongChang, South Korea, where over 300 athletes from over 60 nations competed in snowshoeing on the world stage.

Swim Team: The co-ed swim team trains through the fall semester as they prepare to take part in some NCAA Division III swim and diving invitationals. The 2016 season will be the inaugural season for the USCAA Swimming and Diving Invitational, and the team is excited to be taking part.

Rock Climbing Team: The rock climbing team competes regionally in climbing competitions held at other regional colleges and universities as well as at private climbing gyms. Our collegiate climbers have continued to compete at the national level after graduation.

The College’s Marathon Canoe Team features a mix of faculty, staff, students and alumni, who train and compete in flatwater canoe races throughout the Northeast. The racing season begins in mid-April, and usually ends in the fall with the 90-mile Adirondack Canoe Classic. The team has a great stable of canoes, featuring one person, two, and four person canoes, for a myriad of racing categories to suit the range of skills of our paddlers. The College’s canoe team has met with incredibly success since the program’s inception in 1996, as the paddlers garner dozens of top three finishes in races throughout a given season. Two of the program’s paddlers have competed in the Thailand International Swanboat Races representing the United States in 2000 and again in 2003. Three of the program’s paddlers competed in the Yukon River Quest in June 2008, a 400(+) mile race. This was an exciting challenge as they competed in the longest canoe race in the world.

Saunders Sports Complex: With the newly completed Saunders Sports Complex and the renovation of the Buxton Gymnasium, the intramural and inter-collegiate programs have two inter-connected gymnasiums to utilize. Intramural sports include indoor soccer, dodgeball, basketball, and Ultimate Frisbee. Other sports are added upon request. Special one-day tournaments in the spring are also offered. Contact the Recreation and Intramural Coordinator for additional information.

The Recreation offerings include Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder through SOLO, and a variety of American Red Cross programs in first aid and safety training, including CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and Lifeguard Training. We also annually provide NYS – DEC certification in Basic Search and Rescue as well as the Federal Wildland Fire Suppression courses, S-130 and S-190. These programs, although not credit bearing, all prepare students for their careers in the outdoor professions. Open Water Scuba Diving classes are offered both spring and fall, and are open to any students.

The completion of the dance room in the Saunders Sports Complex has enabled the college to provide programs in Irish Step Dancing, Hip Hop Aerobics, Step Aerobics, Ballroom Dancing, Yoga, Pilates, and Caribbean Dance. The nearly half million dollar renovation of the Bobcat Fitness Center doubled the square footage of this center, with all brand new cardio-equipment as well as new free weight and cable assisted stations throughout. The state-of-the-art Cybex Eagle equipment as well as the personal media centers on the ellipticals, treadmills, stationary steppers and bikes enables users to catch up on the news of the day, listen to music, or watch their favorite television shows while working out. The center is open over 100 hours per week while the college is in session.

Climbing Facility: The indoor climbing facility is in the entrance to the Buxton Gymnasium Annex, and includes 29 vertical feet, over two parallel 26 foot long walls. This dedicated space provides both bouldering and rope assisted climbing, and is supervised by student facilitators. Regular practices for the Climbing Team are held there and open to all academically eligible students. The collegiate Rock Climbing Team has been regionally recognized as among the top in the Northeast since the program’s inception in 2011.

Aquatics: Athletics, Recreation, and Intramurals also provides over 30-hours of pool time weekly, including lap swimming, kayak training, log rolling (Woodsmen’s Team), scuba diving, swim lessons for area youths. General recreational swimming is available every day school is in session. American Red Cross lifeguard certification is offered annually through the Recreation Department. The college’s swim team trains in the facility beginning in the fall, and began collegiate competition in 2012.

Nordic (cross country) skis are available for free student use during the winter months. Trails are maintained throughout the campus and surrounding area, with ready access to the nearby Jackrabbit Ski Trail, maintained by the Adirondack Ski Touring Council. Students can ski on the groomed and well maintained Visitor’s Interpretive Center’s trails adjacent to the campus, or head across Route 30 and jump onto the Jackrabbit for an hour or a few days of Nordic skiing pleasure. We also maintain sixteen canoes for general recreation use for students. All students must complete the Canoe Safety Training prior to using the canoes for recreational use, and this training is readily available during orientation as well as at the beginning of both spring and fall semesters.

Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation: Lake Placid Sports Medicine provides the Athletic training and rehabilitation needs for the Paul Smith’s College student athletes. This valuable service enables our students to return to the athletic fields and competition as soon as possible, while also helping the students learn how to prevent injuries from re-occurring, or better yet, happening in the first place.

Student Development Center

The Student Development Center, located in Joan Weill Student Center #017, provides students with confidential counseling, personal development, substance abuse services, prevention information and health education at Paul Smith’s. All services are free to students of the College.

The Counseling activities of the office are designed to help students better understand themselves, deal with important decisions, and resolve personal, social, career and academic problems that can interfere with their educational goals. Services include counseling (for issues such as depression, anxiety, relationships, family concerns, grief, academic concerns, etc.) Crisis intervention, referrals, choosing majors, setting career goals, and making career changes. The office works with Health Services or off-campus providers should the student require medication. Support and educational counseling for alcohol and other drugs is available. Additional services include workshops such as stress management and freshman transition, support groups (eating disorders, gay/lesbian/bisexual awareness, mindfulness and personal growth) prevention campaigns, a newsletter, and residence hall programming. The office provides a reporting source, advocacy, and support for rape and sexual harassment, and will help students to file charges if they wish to do so. If students would prefer to use counseling services off campus, the Center provides referrals.

The Student Development Center also coordinates non-academic services to students with special needs. It aids in obtaining documentation and accommodations for psychiatric concerns, working closely with the Center for Accommodative Services to provide counseling and/or any non-academic accommodations that might be required. It is a point of contact for requests for medical accommodations for housing and for medical withdrawals.

The office provides health education information and programs on issues such as substances, safer sex, mental health issues, and stress, as well as facilitating the College’s chapter of Bacchus and Gamma peer educators. This group conducts workshops on issues such as harassment, sexual health, rape, substances, relationships and communication. They also encourage wellness and healthy activities, and work to build community at the college. Peer Educators receive special training which enables them to become Nationally Certified Bacchus and Gamma Peer Educators.

The SAFE Program (Substance Assessment for Education) is a program of individual assessment and education for students who have had at least one alcohol or other drug violation. The purpose of the program is to keep the student enrolled if possible, and to prevent substances from interfering with the student’s academic and life goals. Neither an AA program, a punishment, nor an assumption that the student has a serious problem with drugs and/or alcohol, SAFE is an assessment with a counselor which helps students to look at their decisions to use substances, evaluate that use, make informed decisions, recognize abusive behavior, and give them information. The program may be individual or in a group setting and may involve outside evaluation. If long-term treatment is required, the student usually deals with this concern at home.

*Note: Entering students with counseling or documented special needs are encouraged to contact the Student Development Center as soon as possible after admission for assistance in obtaining counseling and any non-academic accommodations required. Questions of a confidential nature may also be addressed to the Center before admission.

Residence Hall Living

The Office of Residence Life is charged with supervising all college residence halls. The Coordinator of Residence Life oversees all Residence Life staffing, training and evaluating, and has trained staff to provide support for students making the adjustment to community living, while helping them to understand the regulations necessary to build and support residential communities. The Coordinator of Residence Life, who lives within campus housing, is on-call 24 hours a day. The Coordinator is responsible for residence hall programming, designated residence hall initiatives, and is a judicial designee.

Our residence halls offer a variety of housing environments that support and enhance the college’s academic mission. Students will be offered the opportunity to be part of Paul Smith’s vibrant, healthy college community. Individual growth is supported through activities based on the College’s Values. Residential students are encouraged to take part in residence hall activities in order to learn, grow and become involved in College life.

On-Campus Living

Campus Living is designed to support the development of communities in which students can meet their educational and personal goals. In a group living situation, guidelines exist to insure the rights and personal liberties of each individual, while promoting a community atmosphere conducive to learning and living. These policies serve to protect the rights, health and security of others, as well as to protect the property of the college. Any student who violates these standards is subject to a disciplinary action possibly resulting in removal from the residence halls. The Office of Residence Life is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the residence halls and supervision of College paraprofessional staff (Resident Assistants).

Students are expected to know and follow all subsections of the Student Code of Conduct so they may better promote the mission, values, and goals of on-campus living. These guidelines along with others pertaining specifically to the residence halls are enforced to ensure that all students are provided with a living environment conducive to academic and social success.

The College believes on-campus living is one of the best ways for students to learn and practice essential life skills. By stressing care for the individual, the living environment, academics, and a good social atmosphere, we develop a strong sense of community values among residents. Community living also helps students experience diverse cultures and thoughts, helping them to better understand of people with different views.

For these reasons, all students are required to live on campus and take their meals in the College dining hall on one of the approved meal plans. In certain cases and after meeting specific standards, students may reside off campus.

Residence Hall Services

Resident students are provided with a full range of services within the residence halls. Laundry facilities (washers and dryers) are provided in each building for residents’ use. Basic cable access and internet access is provided in all residence hall rooms. Each room is furnished with beds, desks, chairs, dressers, and closets or wardrobes. Bed linens may be ordered through the Residence Hall Linen Program in which students order sheets, comforters, mattress pads, pillow cases, and towels. Unless noted, all buildings have quiet hours from 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m. on weekdays and 12:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on weekends. Courtesy hours are in effect at all times. Students seeking additional living accommodations should contact Accommodative Services at 518-327-6414.

Residence Halls

Blum Residence Hall - Located on the West end of Campus, this residence hall is a unique, historical house that houses approximately 17 students. This hall is one of our wellness buildings, which requires the absence of tobacco or alcohol use, and maintains a 24-hour-quiet policy. Every two rooms share a bathroom. A kitchen and lounge are located on the first floor. Students must have a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0 and no disciplinary record to live here. 

Clinton Residence Hall - This residence hall is designated to transfer students. Males reside on the first floor and females on the second. Clinton houses approximately 38 students; this hall has a community bathroom on each floor, contains a small lounge on the first floor and has one resident assistant.

Currier Residence Hall - A co-ed, first year hall, this building houses approximately 100 students and is located in the center of campus. In traditional residence hall style, this building consists of long hallways and common bathrooms and lounge.

Essex Residence Hall - Essex Hall is an upper class, co-ed hall. It houses approximately 36 students. Each room has its own bathroom; a lounge and laundry facility are located on the first floor. The first floor accommodates students with disabilities.

Franklin Residence Hall - Housing approximately 38 students, this co-ed residence hall is reserved for students of upper class standing. It also accommodates students with disabilities. This building has a lounge and laundry facilities on the first floor.

Hillside Residence Hall - Hillside is another one of our wellness residence halls, housing approximately 50 upper class students. Being a wellness hall, it has 24-hour-quiet policy and is tobacco and alcohol free. Every two rooms are connected by a bathroom. Kitchen, lounge and study area are also available to students in this hall.

St. Regis Residence Hall - Upper and Lower buildings: This upper class, apartment style building has four single-occupancy bedrooms, two bathrooms and a full kitchen with a stove, microwave and refrigerator. There is an increased cost per semester for this building.

Lakeside Residence Hall - This co-ed, upper class building houses 43 students. Rooms in this building are carpeted, and each floor shares a common bathroom. There is a lounge and kitchen on the first floor, which consists of tripled male rooms. The second floor consists of double female rooms.

Lambert Residence Hall - Housing approximately 20 upper class students. Each room has its own bathroom, and there is a lounge and kitchen on the first floor.

Livermore Residence Hall - As one of our first year student residence halls, this building houses approximately 100 students in 53 carpeted rooms that share two common bathrooms for each gender, one on each floor. A lounge is located on the first floor, and laundry facilities are provided.

Lydia Martin Smith (LMS) Residence Hall - Located along the Lower St. Regis Lake, this building houses a majority of our first year students in quad rooms. With a population of approximately 184 students, this co-ed building provides students with a lounge, kitchen and laundry service along with common bathrooms on each floor.

Overlook Hall - This upper-class, apartment-style building consists of units that each have four-single occupancy bedrooms, two bathrooms and a full kitchen with a stove, microwave and refrigerator. There is an increased cost per semester to live in this building.

Saratoga Residence Hall - Located at the highest elevation on campus, this building houses approximately 100 upper class students in double and triple rooms and provides them with a lounge, kitchen and laundry service.

Off-Campus Living

As a residential college, Paul Smith’s believes that students learn much about themselves, others and the world around them through community living. Students who wish to live off campus must submit an application to the Office of Housing and Student Conduct prior to the posted deadline for such applications. Deadlines for off campus housing applications will be announced and distributed to each student via the Housing Office. Permission is granted on a yearly basis and each student must reapply before the beginning of the next academic year, including summer session. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Office of Housing and Student Conduct to determine whether their application has been approved. If the request is denied, and a student believes that they meet the requirements for an appeal, a written appeal must be submitted to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Campus Life or any other administrator designated by the College for that purpose. The decision following an appeal is final. A completed off-campus application/verification form must be on file at check-in.

Exemptions may be granted to students who meet one of the following criteria:

Appeals will only be heard for those students who meet the following criteria:

Students residing off-campus must provide the Housing Office with an address and phone number information. Off-campus students are expected to abide by all College Policies while they are on College-owned property and must act with good moral character as a member of the local community. Off-campus students who wish to eat in the College’s dining facilities may either purchase a limited board plan or can purchase meals on a cash basis.


Never sign a lease, contract, or any other binding housing agreement / document without first being approved for off-campus living. The College will not consider your lease, contract, or any other housing agreement during the appeals process.

On and Off-Campus Housing Policy for Students with a Temporary Disability

  1. All students are subject to the policies, rules, and regulations in the Paul Smith’s Community Guide and College Catalog.
  2. Any requests for off-campus or special housing as an accommodation for temporary disability will be reviewed by Health Services, Counseling, and Accommodative Services personnel and will follow the procedures for documenting a disability set forth on the Center for Accommodative Services portion of the PSC website. Their recommendation will be forwarded to the Director of Student Affairs and the Housing and Operations Manager.
  3. Students with a temporary disability will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Permission for special housing accommodations will be granted for one semester only. Students should apply as soon as they realize they have a need. The College will need at least one week to process the request once the appropriate documentation has been received. Students who know they will need temporary accommodations (such as those who will be having surgery, etc.) should let the College know prior to their need so that a space may be reserved if possible. Requests can only be approved to the extent that space is available.

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act

The student Right -to- Know and campus Security Act ( Public Law 101-542 ) was signed into law in November 1990 and amended several times in subsequent years. Title ll of this act was known as The Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990. The 1998 amendments renamed this subsection of the Higher Education Act the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.

Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. This act requires institutions to disclose information about campus safety policies and procedures and to provide statistics concerning whether certain crimes took place on campus.

During the 1990 New York State Legislative session, the legislature passed and the governor signed into law as chapter 739 of the Laws of 1990 new requirements for post-secondary institutions regarding campus security. This law requires post-secondary institutions to provide specific information to incoming students about sexual assault prevention and the information at an advisory committee on campus security.

Notice of Availability of Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Report

In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, Paul Smith's College will provide upon request the Annual Security Report, Annual Fire Report and all campus crime statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education. The statistics are available on the US Department of Education website or on the College website. A hard copy of the report can be obtained by contacting Campus Safety at 518-327-6300 or the Emergency Management and Compliance Coordinator at 518-327-6451..

Regulations for the Conduct of Clubs and Activities

Clubs and organizations recognized and sponsored by Paul Smith's College may not sponsor or engage in hazing or in any other activities which endanger anyone's mental or physical well-being. Groups may not sponsor events at which alcohol is served, and no College funds may be used to purchase alcohol. Clubs and organizations fall under the same rules and regulations outlined within the Student Code of Conduct, and are subject to the disciplinary action should they be found "responsible" for the violation of any College policy. Clubs and organizations recognized by the Student Government, must be open to any student who wishes to join, and may not require any initiation activities that would be potentially harmful in any way to the participants.

Organizations recognized and sponsored by Paul Smith's College may not sponsor or engage in hazing or in any other activities which endanger anyone's mental or physical well-being. Groups may not sponsor events at which alcohol is served, and no College funds may be used to purchase alcohol. Other drugs are forbidden at any club-sponsored events, as they are elsewhere on campus. Clubs and organizations recognized by the Student Government, with the exception of academic honor societies, must be open to any student who wishes to join, and may not require any initiation activities that would be potentially harmful in any way to the participants.